History of the Fire Department
In the Beginning
Sometime around the Civil War the need to have a fire department in the growing City of Fayetteville was recognized. The exact date of its organization is not clear but we know it was sometime around 1870. In 1874 it was recorded that the Fire Department was disbanded due to lack of encouragement of the city. This did not last long due to a report that the first fire wagon was purchased 1897.
Fayetteville purchased its first true fire truck in 1917.
The Beginning of a Career
Today we don't think twice about the Fayetteville Fire Department being always ready to answer a 911 emergency call. In the 1970s the department began to have problems recruiting volunteer's even when they were being partially paid for their services. During the day when most men worked was the worst response time. Only a handful of men could leave their job to respond to an alarm. During this time the chief and the city saw the need to start the change, so as our volunteers retired, career firefighters were hired, beginning our modern department.
As the City Grew
In1964, Station 1 was moved to it's current location, Station 2, the old airport Station 3, and the old north side Station 4 were built. Station 5 was built in 1978 with the intention of being temporary and to be replaced by 2 new stations 5 years later. This property was sold to Central EMS in 2018 and now houses an ambulance. Station 3 was replaced with a new station located inside the gates at Drake Field. The old location is currently being used as the Fire Prevention office after it was remodeled in 2017.
Addition of New Stations
In 1999, Fire Station #6 was built at 900 Hollywood St. and was staffed by manpower from the airport fire station. This move, as well as changes at the airport, resulted in the airport fire station being converted into an unmanned response facility. That same year, Fire Station #4 was relocated to its current location at 3385 Plainview Street. In May of 2004, Fire Station #7 was opened at 835 N Rupple Road to serve the western part of the city. Station #7 was the first expansion station since 1978.
Fire Station #5 opened in 2007 and is located at 2979 N Crossover which is 2 miles north of the original station. The new location serves the northeast part of the city. Fire Station #3 is located just south of the intersection at Happy Hollow and Huntsville Road at 1050 S Happy Hollow Rd . This expansion station opened in the spring of 2008 and serves the southeastern part of the city.